Portuguese Spanish Youtube Instagram Facebook Twitter
Teach Abroad – FAQ
  • Which languages can I teach abroad?


Most Brazilians want to learn English. The second most popular language is Spanish.


  • What kind of qualifications do I need?


If you want to teach a Brazilian host family you must be a native English speaker.

To teach in a social project you only need to be fluent in English or Spanish. No previous experience is required. For this placement you will be charged for accommodation and support.

  • What if I am not a native speaker? Can I still teach the language?

You don´t have to be a native speaker to teach in a social project. However, you have to be fluent and have a high knowledge of the language.

  • Do I have to be a certain age?

All applicants of the teaching abroad program must be 18 years old and above.

  • How many hours per week will I be teaching?

If you apply to teach a host family you will be expected to teach 15 hours a week.

In a social project you will be committed to work from 20-30 hours per week, between class preparation, teaching and other tasks.

  • What level are the students at?

It varies from basic at the social projects to advanced if teaching a host family.

  • Do I have to bring any teaching material?

Not necessarily, but it is recommended to bring material to prepare your classes, but if you don’t have any there are plenty of books in Brazil and websites to check for ideas.

  • Will I get paid to teach?

No. You will come to Brazil on a tourist visa, which does not allow you to get paid. On the other hand, if you come to teach a host family you will recieve free room and board.

  • Do I have to speak the local language also?

You don’t need to speak Portuguese in order to apply for the teaching abroad program.

  • Will I have time to travel and explore Brazil?

Yes, you will have plenty of time to travel and visit places. Whenever you have free time you are encouraged to explore.

  • Will I be staying with a host family?

Yes. Applicants of the teaching abroad program are placed in host families.

  • What happens if I get sick and not able to go to work?

If you get sick you should advise your supervisor in advance about your absence. Your local coordinator should also be informed, so we can provide you assistance in case you need a doctor appointment.

  • What kind of visa do I need for the teaching abroad programs in Brazil?

You should apply for the tourist visa to teach in Brazil. It will allow you to stay up to 90 days in the country.


See more photos
Caroliina Lauriala


Don´t give up if in the beginning there are some difficult moments that you don´t understand. Things are not always so easy but just don´t give up and if you start thinking more deeply and go into the local culture you´ll understand more, then you´ll have the best time of your life!

Caroliina Lauriala, Finnish, Intern from 2015
Contact us Youtube instagram facebook twitter
R. Cândido Mader, 81 – loja 01 – Juvevê
Curitiba-PR | Brasil
CEP: 80030-300
Tel: +55 (41) 3503-0209
Skype: brazilianexperience
E-mail: info@brazilianexperience.com.br

Sign up and receive our newsletter